Friday, August 10, 2012

I Will Miss Jairo Varela of Grupo Niche

Jairo Varela, Leader of Colombian salsa band
GRUPO NICHE
December 9, 1949-August 10, 2012

It was by accident as I was browsing the profile of a Facebook friend on my Spanish-speaking Facebook account when she had a background photo of Jairo Varela, with the words, 1949-2012. I've never felt such  intense grief for someone I never met personally. Jairo and his band Grupo Niche brought so much joy to my life with his music over the years. Long before the Internet, I used to buy his albums without hearing musical tracks and was never disappointed. It's one thing to enjoy the music, but being able to “feel” his music took my enjoyment to another level. I don't think Grupo Niche will be the same without Jairo Varela. rest in peace, my brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will be ignored and deleted.