Thursday, September 26, 2013

I'm Getting Love from Afro-Ecuadorians


 A community in Valle del Chota, Ecuador

I’ve been a member of the Afro-Ecuadorian forum for over three years on my Spanish Facebook account. Initially, I joined the group in preparation for my first trip to Ecuador because I wanted to make contact with the Afro-Ecuadorian community. This gesture worked like a charm as I was introduced to people who went out of their way to make my stay as pleasant as possible. What was even more uplifting was the fact that I referred other visitors from the USA and Great Britain to my new found friends who not only had a great time, but like me, learned a lot. It is in this forum where, even today, I keep pace with the latest on Black Ecuador.

Well recently, I announced in this Afro-Ecuadorian forum of my choice of Ecuador as the place where I eventually want to retire, be immersed in Ecuador’s black culture, and assist from behind the scenes, with the black struggle. I even expressed a desire to volunteer my time to teach English in a black community of 2000 residents, which is known throughout Ecuador for producing world-class soccer stars.

Since posting this announcement, I’ve been receiving a lot friend-request from Afro-Ecuadorian men and women, a couple who offered to mentor me in my acclimation into Ecuadorean life. There are two women who are giving me strong hints of wanting more than just a friendship, and my feeling is, please, not so fast! I want to make the best of all of my friendships as well as being a true friend myself. I believe this type of familiarity, in addition to the friends I’ve already made and met in person (thanks to Facebook) will make my transition into Ecuadorian life a lot smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will be ignored and deleted.