Thursday, January 15, 2015

Some Black Men's Facination with Latin Women



A black American male posted a message in Latina Magazine's on line forum asking if Latinas like black men. I thought how clueless this gentleman was with such a stereotypical question. The responses from the forum's female participants were, as expected, mixed as to whether or not they would date a black man.

However, I reminded this youngster that, like any other ethnic group, Latin-American people are not a monolithic group of people you can paint with the same brush. I added that he needs to check with the individual Latina in whom he may have an interest. The interest may or may not be mutual for any number of reasons that may or may not have anything to do with ethnicity. 

From my personal experience at various salsa, merengue, and bachata music clubs where I have been hanging out for a number of years, I've met three types of women of all races; those who blew me off because I'm black; those who were engaging specifically because I'm black, and those who did not care one way or the other as long as I can show them a good time on the dance floor. The latter was an overwhelming majority.

It's been a while since I lived in New York City, but it has been brought to my attention that a lot of African-American men in New York have hot desires for a Latin-American woman. A Peruvian-American female once told me directly that such black men are a dime-a-dozen in New York.

Another Latina from Brooklyn whom I will refer to as Maribella shared in her blog, “Is Latina, the New Thing?”  that African-American women tell her that she should not have a hard time dating because being Latina is the “in thing,” and that it's harder for black women to date. As a single black American male with personal preference for the darker woman, I would beg to differ.


Maribella asks a very good question, though: what is up with this social stigma that Latinas are these exotic creatures? She adds that this over-sexualized view portrayed by reality TV shows and the media is bull. 

As one who traveled to nine Latin-American countries, and lived and worked among Latinos in the U.S., I would be the first to tell these brothers (AND sisters) that not every Latina looks like the ones you see on the cover of Latina Magazine. Maribella stated it well, beauty is not granted due to race or ethnicity.

I was a bit annoyed by her comment; however, when she said that she “looks” Latina. What does that mean? What she and so many people overlook is that the so-called “Latina look” is just another stereotype portrayed by the media. Real Latinos come in all colors, including black, and represent many ethnic groups, including African. When I was in a Chinese restaurants in Perú, South America, I had to order in Spanish (or Cantonese), or I didn't eat!

Here is something that I'd like to share with some of you brothers who are so crazy about Latinas. Check these “Latina” beauties out:


 Mónica Chalá, former Miss Ecuador from 
Ecuador's black capital of Esmeraldas


An Afro-Colombian Model for South America's 
version of Ebony Magazine called Ébano

  Mónica Carrillo, Peruvian civil rights activist
(the one I like)


Marva Weatherhorn, former Miss Guatemala


Concha Buiki, flamenco singer from Spain by way of Equatorial Guinea, West Africa

If I had to make a choice between two attractive women, one Latina and the other African American, I would look beyond the outer appearance and look at the heart. Is she down to earth, a good communicator, unselfish, and easy to get along with? I would definitely want to know about the common interests that we could enjoy together as a couple. Choosing a woman for looks and ethnicity alone would be quite shallow and will certainly backfire in the long run.

3 comments:

  1. As a blackman I prefer a Latina woman that perfer us Blackmen only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black men are weak links and that is why they date and dilute their Black bloodline. Self hatred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You obviously did not read the whole blog post where I addressed fine Black women who are also Latina and have the same African roots as Black Americans. The only difference is that slave ships went to Latin America before coming to USA.

      Delete

Anonymous comments will be ignored and deleted.