Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Language Stereotype of Blacks


black Latinos, Afro-Latinos
As a friend pointed out so eloquently, this video was funny as well as sad with an olive complexioned Latino making derogatory remarks about blacks in front of a black guy who just happened to be a native Spanish speaker. Well, it wasn't so funny when I got a taste of such ignorance when a Spanish-speaking client at the agency where I work assumed that I did not speak Spanish.

What frustrated me was the fact that the receptionist was unable to help her without an interpreter.

This morning, when I entered the lobby of my workplace heading for my office, I overheard a woman trying to get help from the receptionist. The problem was that she was Spanish-only and the receptionist was English-only. I stopped to help the receptionist as I have done so many times in the past by serving as an interpreter. It was obvious that this mono-lingual Spanish-speaking woman had more confidence communicating with the receptionist because she fits the stereotypical, physical profile of a Latina.

It was obvious the woman had more confidence communicating with the receptionist because she fits the stereotypical, physical profile of a Latina.

What frustrated me was the fact that the receptionist was unable to help her without an interpreter. I was the only one president. I felt as though I were being stereotyped because of my color. Thus, I insisted to her in Spanish that if she needed any help she needs to talk to me. She finally complied.

So, why would a Latin American come to this country and assume that blacks are limited to English and Ebonics?

As in every race and culture, you will find it's share ignorant people; the Latino community is no exception where so many are so quick to assume that if you are not of olive-skinned complexion with high cheekbones, you cannot possibly speak Spanish. You would think they'd know better because there are blacks, Asians, Middle Easterners, and Europeans in every Latin-American country from Mexico to Argentina who speak Spanish as their first language. So, why would a Latin American come to this country and assume that blacks are limited to English and Ebonics? How do you look at someone and determine what language one is capable of speaking?

3 comments:

  1. Because people are very ignorant. It's just like in America when people meet me, when I say that I am in grad school, they look at me like I have six heads. Or when I speak and I am very articulate, they cannot believe it because I am a black woman. It is very sad how the minds of many people work in this world. But I will tell them, like I tell my all white classmates--no matter what anyway feels about me or says about me, I'm still going to do actually what I want to do because it makes ME happy. I do what I do for me, not the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bill,

    Funny, this reminds me of an incident in a hotel in Miami a few years ago. I was in transit, flying back home to the Caribbean but missed my connecting flight and was put up in a Coral Gables hotel by the airline for the night.

    At the front desk there were two rececptionists, male and female who both carried the classic Latino physical features, you know, the black hair and olive skin combo.
    For some mysterious reason they were a bit tardy providing my room. After a fifiteen minute wait (during which they spoke exclusively in Spanish to each another) that wore out my patience, I approeached the desk again to enquire as to the reason for their delay. They both seemed indifferent to my plight. Then I heard the lady exclaim as she checked the hotel's database "No tengo mas cuartos (I don't have any more rooms!)". I looked at her and said in English, "What, you have no more rooms?". She kept her head bowed but the look on her face was priceless!
    Needless to say, I got a room in quick time after threatening to call the airline!

    Keep us posted on your travels, interesting stuff!

    Kenneth

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you look at someone and determine what language one is capable of speaking?

    I'm still trying to understand how and why people do this. I love that video.:)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will be ignored and deleted.