Monday, April 29, 2019

South America's Own Ebony Magazine

 Revista Ébano/Ebony Magazine

When I was in Cartagena, Colombia, I could not resist bringing back this souvenir I accidentally found in a black business: South America's EBONY MAGAZINE. Colombia has the largest Spanish-speaking black population in Colombia. 

The same West African music that gave birth to the blues and gospel music in the U.S.A; music that merged with White American music, gave birth to Cumbia music in Colombia. Cumbia is a mixture of West African, Spanish, and indigenous music. 

What's weird, a Colombian woman whose race is unknown, wrote on one of my blog posts that we Americas make too big of a deal about race. 

However, she gave me a deafening silence to something that I pointed out about her country. In a predominately black and brown city like Cartagena, why are there little or no black employees working in businesses, banks, office buildings, and on the police force? Is it racial discrimination? 

Colombia, like most Latin American countries deny racism in their country. It is indeed there, they just try to sweep it under the rug.

4 comments:

  1. I really don't understand black American men - Always crying about how Latin America is super racist but booking plane tickets to these racist countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edmundo, I'll tell you why I book trips to those racist countries. I want to learn more about the black experience in Latin America while at the same time, practicing my Spanish. I find it very interesting how when I venture away from tourist areas, I get treated like a second-class citizen because of my color. Then, when they see my passport, their whole attitude change. What's up with that?

      Delete
    2. It's funny how all you black American men always talk about wanting to learn the black experience but never go to Haiti, Jamaica, or even Africa.

      Racism exist, it sucks, but why are you still going to these countries then? Why not go to Guinea Equatorial where you can practice your Spanish and have your black experience with zero racism.

      Delete
    3. Here is the reason. Yes, Equatorial Guinea is on my list of places to visit, but Latin America is closer to home; besides, I'm a big fan of salsa, cumbia, festejo, marimba, merengue, bachata, and pop music from most Latin American countries, which inspires my trips.

      My late Mexican-American advised me years ago that if I'm going to speak Spanish, I need to learn the culture; thus, the best place to start is with the black folks, although, I also interacted with Asian, Middle Eastern, Jewish, brown and Indigenous Latinos.

      Delete

Anonymous comments will be ignored and deleted.